BUILDING FIRE BREAKS TO SAVE LIVES
WITH 1.6 MILLION ORPHANS IN MOZAMBIQUE, AFRICA, building an orphanage is like spitting on a bush fire. To stop a fast burning bush fire, you take away its fuel by building a “fire break”.
AT ORPHANS UNLIMITED WE GO WHERE NO ONE ELSE WANTS TO GO.
(to the poorest of the poor in remote villages deep in the bush of northern Mozambique)
Our Specialty: Rescuing orphans, AND building “fire breaks” to keep more children from losing their parents. At present we have an EFFECTIVE VILLAGE FOSTER CARE PROGRAM providing forover 1,850 orphans at a cost of only $1/child/day.
Our FIRE BREAKS include:
- Drilling Water Wells in remote villages.
- Provide emergency transportation for pregnant mothers in remote villages with complicated labor.
- Education: teaching proper baby care, hygiene, and abstinence to thechildren and teens in ALL orphan and church programs.
HARD FACTS ABOUT ORPHANS IN NORTHERN MOZAMBIQUE:
- CLEAN DRINKING WATER would have prevented the death of more than 60% of the mothers of these 1,850 children.Drinking Dirty Water leads to dysentery, the No. 1 killer of adults andchildren in this area.
- DEATH IN CHILDBIRTH—2nd leading cause of orphans in our area. We assist grandmothers and aunts in caring for orphaned babies by providing baby bottles and formula as well as a “baby wellness training” at our mission station. Food and clothing assistance is given to theolder children in those families.
- MALARIA—3rd leading cause of orphans in our area.Kills in 3 days without proper treatment. Assist the poor with funds for a hospital visit and medication. Our trucksassist in mosquito net distributions to remote villages.
- AIDS: The slowest killer in our area, and one that must be prevented through education at an early age.UNICEF’S 2010 surveyors report an estimated 630,000 Mozambican children are HIV positive with 16% of this group being UNDER THE AGE OF 5. Abstinence programs are taught at all our food distribution outreaches, 18 bush churches, AND to our 4 & 5 year olds in our Christian pre-school.
- POVERTY CYCLE: Superstitions, immoral living, coupled with a lack of education and jobs lead most orphans into a life of crime. Most see stealing and lying as the only way to survive. O.U. opens the eyes of the children to God’s Word, and what it says about how we should live by loving and helping each other. School materials are provided to the children so they can attend their village schools. High school and Technical Jobs Apprenticeships are provided to those who graduate from their village schools. Education is the only way out of the poverty cycle.
Become a WORLD CHANGER by partnering with us. Check out OUR VISION and learn more about our work.