DETAILED FIVE STEP STRATEGY FOR THE FUTURE
REAL SOLUTIONS FOR REAL NEEDS.
TOGETHER, WE CAN BE WORLD CHANGERS
Step 1: ORPHAN PREVENTION PROGRAM
Issue: Most children are orphaned in Africa because their mothers die from preventable or treatable medical problems. The 5 biggest killers in our area, in order of severity are:
- Water borne disease such as dysentery and cholera (both kill in 3 days)
- Death from complications during or after child birth (kills immediately or within 7 days)
- Malaria kills in 3 days or less, depending on age and health status of a child
- AIDS kills in 6 months to 7 years depending on many variables
- Tuberculosis (TB) a slow killer that can take up to a year or more
STEP 1: CLEAN WATER PROJECTS
Water transmitted diseases PRODUCES MORE ORPHANS THAN AIDS in this area of Mozambique. AIDS takes years to kill, but drinking dirty water can end your life in 3 days! More than 900 children of the 1,800 orphans in our present program were orphaned because their mothers drank dirty water & died of a water related disease (cholera or dysentery).
WATER WELL DRILLING — THE ONLY SOLUTION
New Government regulations only allow commercial drilling companies to drill in Mozambique. EACH WELL provides 400–500 families with clean drinking water, saving many children the sorrow of losing their mother. DRILLING COST: $ 9,000 provides a village with a standard 35 meter (105 foot) deep water well WATER WELL PUMP: $1,500 provides a sturdy Afridec hand pump and concrete base. TOTAL: $10,500
In Balama and Meluco Counties, there are over 60 villages whose only water is found in surface ponds. Their only solution is a water well. Many villages number over 5,000 people and the entire village depends on 1 water well. These wells normally serve 1,500 people if pumped 14 hours a day. A well can provide for 2,500 people if it is pumped 24 hours a day. People stand in line for 8 hours a day just to receive 5 gallons of water for their entire family. Bathing isn’t possible once the surface ponds dry up in October and November (height of the dry season). Diseases run rampant as children literally drink the green slimy water from surface ponds trying to quench their thirst.
WATER WELLS SAVE 1000’S OF LIVES EACH YEAR FOR ONLY $7/person for LIFE!
RAISING AN ORPHAN TAKES $365/YEAR FOR UP TO 18 YEARS. ( $6,570/child)
GOD ORDERED US AT ORPHANS UNLIMITED TO CUT THE ROOTS OF THE ORPHAN PROBLEM.
DIRTY DRINKING WATER IS THE # 1 KILLER.
DRILLING MORE WATER WELLS IS THE ONLY LONG TERM SOLUTION THAT WORKS.
REPAIRING EXISTING WATER WELL PUMPS
About 40 of the 100+ villages in these 2 counties have water wells, but every 4–6 months, some parts wear out, leaving the village with no clean water. Maintenance parts are only available in Nampula city, 7 hours drive from our base. As I write this, our water well repair team is in the remote villages of Meluco county repairing 7 broken wells because their pumps have worn out. A simple gift of $100 can provide parts and the labor to repair most water wells and save 100’s of children from being orphaned.
STEP 2: EMPOWER THE WOMEN TO GROW THEIR OWN MEDICINES
A. Train the local village women to grow & utilize medicinal plants that will decrease the death rate of mothers & children.
B. A medicinal plant project has been established with over 600 Moranga trees now producing life saving products at our Balama base.
C. Cuttings & seeds are available to local women for starting their own Moranga trees.
D. Train the local women to grow & prepare these plants for medicinal use.
E. Train these women to diagnose & treat their children when they are sick. By growing and using the products from locally grown Moranga trees, we will be able to empower the local women to produce teas & powders that will:
- ASSIST MOTHERS WITH AIDS a better quality of life (& thus not orphan their children as soon).
- CURE cases of dysentery
- DECREASE the severity of Malaria cases
- PROVIDE RAPID RECOVERY through a high protein diet for malnourished, breast feeding mothers with babies and toddlers (thus reduce the number of babies that are orphaned or needing milk formula)
STEP 3: BREAKING THE POVERTY CYCLE
Issue: Current schooling in the area only goes through the 10th grade but there are few job opportunities for the graduates. This creates a poverty cycle that is hard to break. Solution: The following 2 programs are TOP PRIORITY FOR 2012 as we have many orphans graduating in 2013 with no job possibilities. You can help– see below!
Create technical training programs that includes a jobs creation/small business loan program for graduates. Skills sets taught would include:
- Goat Management Classes with a “starter” goat herd as the graduation goal.
- Auto/motorbike/maize mill mechanics– badly needed throughout the country.
- Maize mill management– teaching management and operational skills for operating a maize mill
- English as a 2nd language – interpreters badly needed nationwide.
- Computer skills– computer classes for top students desiring jobs in government ( these skills needed now!)
- Concrete Construction/Carpentry skills needed for house building
- Education– pre-school teacher’s course (which we are in need of!).
- Manual sewing– manual sewing machine classes for making inexpensive clothing for our orphans.
- Small business management– money management and small business Already Provided:;Goat Herd with trained goat managers ready to teach 2 Classrooms for the computer & English classes. Maize Mill in operation Needed: Missionaries to teach computer, English, and small business classes (90 day stay required for these classes) Teacher’s Salaries for Mozambican Masters in their technical field (Moz. top salary is $1,500/teacher/year X 3 teachers) $4,500/year
JOBS CREATION TO FORM A FINANICALLY SUSTAINABLE PROGRAM.
Issue: The current efforts of the program outlined above are reliant on annual donations. The model should become a self-sustainable within
6 years and provide a successful working example to other areas of Africa.
Solution: The formation of Sustainable Micro Macro Enterprises (SMMEs) would provide financial sustainability for Orphans Unlimited and jobs for the graduates of the public schools and technical training facility. In this manner children could be brought up from young orphans to be fully independent and model citizens of their country. The goal would be to have each program become self-sufficient within 5–6 years of its formation. The Needs:
TRUCK GARDENING PROJECT FOR WIDOWS
Seeds, hand tools, watering cans, etc. $2,000
POULTRY PROJECTS FOR WIDOWS
Basic set up for duck breeding pens and stock at the O.U. farm: $1,500
MANUAL CARPENTRY AND BRICK LAYERS TOOLS FOR STUDENTS: $2,000
MANUAL SEWING MACHINES FOR CLOTHES MAKING: $200 EACH (4 machines needed)
STEP 4: EXPAND OUR CURRENT ORPHAN PROGRAM TO REACH ORPHANS IN ANOTHER COUNTY
Issue: Our goal is to reach out to over 1,000 known orphans living in NOTE: Mozambique does not allow dorm type orphanage facilities. Foster care with Mozambican mothers is the only solution. Assistance and training programs for orphans who have a loving grandmother or aunt they can live with, is the best solution for the child. We believe that only children with NO extended family should be taken into one of our orphan homes with a substitute mother.
Open a church in Namuno County with an orphan assistance program managed by an Orphans Unlimited Pastor and his wife.
Funds to build a church and Parsonage for the Pastor $10,000
Locate sponsors to assist this program (cost per child) $30/month or
Goal: Assist 1,000 orphans by Dec., 2013
COST: $360,000 annually
• Corn $65
• Beans $30
• Rice $20.00
• Meat $52
• Cooking Oil $17
• Fruit/Veg. $11.00
• Bath soap $10
• Clothes soap $9
• Tooth paste $11
• FOOD TOTAL: $225
C. Clothing $ 45.00
D. Bed $20.00
E. Bedding $20.00
G. School material $40.00
GRAND TOTAL : $360.00/year OR $30/month
STEP 5: EXPAND OUR CURRENT MALNUTRITION REHABILITATION PROGRAM FOR BABIES
& NURSING MOTHERS
Issue: We are presently assisting over 150+ malnourished mothers per year with severely malnourished babies. Each week, all the mothers walk with their babies to the Nutritional Distribution Center to receive a high protein food supply (many walk 10 to 20 miles). Every November each mother is given seeds and tools to plant their field (required for sustaining a household). All recovered families are dismissed from the program at harvest time each April. There are over 1,000 additional malnourished mothers with babies needing our help throughout the district. Solution: Provide baby assistance services at each of our Food Distribution Points throughout the district to serve a total of 1000 mothers annually (a planned increase of 850 receiving needed assistance).
• Corn flour $ 44.00
• Hypo Plus $ 10.00 (nutritional cereal formulated for malnourished kids)
• Beans $ 17.00
• Oil $ 17.00
• Salt $ 2.00
• Seeds $ 8.00
• Tools $ 6.00 (hoe & machete for mother to get a new start)
• Staff cost/child/yr. $ 6.00
FEEDING COST OF ONE MOTHER & CHILD: $110/year
GOAL: Assist 1000 malnourished children/year by Dec. 2013
Orphans Unlimited has real solutions to real problems.
How Can You Help?
Become a WORLD CHANGER by partnering with us.
Your gift can go to the project of your choice as often as you like.
Orphans Unlimited is a 501c3 registered charity with the IRS and all gifts
are tax deductible.
Please make donations payable to:
Orphans Unlimited, Inc.,
11152 Westheimer Rd.,
Houston, TX 77042
Or donate online now using a major credit card or PayPal..
Please feel free to contact our team at 979–234-3422 or email us at
Thank you for your time and consideration!